We went this afternoon.
Yes, Two is ‘On The Autistic Spectrum’.
No, he isn’t being given a diagnosis because he is highly functioning and highly intelligent therefore he isn’t handicapped enough by his ‘autistic traits’.
He does however have a clear and recognisable diagnosis of Phobic Anxiety Disorder.
To this end he is being referred back to CAMHS for what will probably be CBT to treat his phobic anxiety attacks.
How do I feel now about this, right now, three hours after emerging from the appointment?
– Hopeful for treatment helping with his phobias
– Embarrassed. Feeling like I’ve somehow failed a job interview by answering all the questions wrong.
– Bereaved of any support we may have got for the autistic parts.
– Unsure what to do next to help him
– Stuck back in the waiting game again.