Blogging from my phone, in bed, because I was thinking, and the thoughts became a blog post which needed writing immediately.
Hints and tips for the friends and acquaintances of those who find themselves in the hypothetical (ahem) situation of having a child with severe depression and anxiety.
What NOT to say:
– Why? Do you have any idea of the root cause of it?
– Oh my goodness, that must be AWFUL! I don’t know how I’d react if that was one of my kids.
– Have you tried….?
– Sounds like a teenage phase to me.
– Is anything being done about it at all?
– You must be absolutely beside yourself with worry.
What to ACTUALLY say:
– That must be tough. You are doing an amazing job. Here is a cup of tea. And a listening ear if you ever need it. I have no well meaning advice for you. Let us chat about the weather.