–          Began bleary eyed, waking from a dream in which I’d been cycling and then watching the sunrise on a beach. The image of that sunrise is still incredibly clear in my mind; it was beautiful. I found it difficult to wake properly and get out of bed, but it had to be done as the older two children had to be sent off to school.

–          Breakfasted in my pyjamas, unusually – I’m normally dressed before I make it downstairs but today I knew I was going to have a shower after breakfast.  Ate some toast and drank a huge mug of tea while seeing One and Two off to school and trying to avoid playing Littlest Pet Shop Top Trumps with Three as I felt it was too early and I wasn’t awake enough!

–          Took advantage of the fact that Three had put a dvd on to watch and nipped upstairs for a shower. For some reason the water pressure was better than usual this morning and it was the best shower I’ve ever had in our bathroom. The water was actually coming out of the individual holes in the shower head instead of gathering together in the middle and just trickling onto my head! It woke me up beautifully.

–          Checked bank account to ensure the Jobseeker’s Allowance had arrived on time (it had, thank goodness!) and proceeded to make a shopping list.

–          Phoned Mum to suggest gardening plans for the day and invite her to a picnic in the park with Three and myself.

–          Prised Three away from the dvd and went to the supermarket for a week’s worth of groceries now my card wasn’t likely to be rejected for lack of funds! Brought groceries home, unpacked them and put them away, then made up a picnic.

–          Collected Mum and drove on to the local park. Enjoyed our picnic. Played a ‘one-a-side’ game of football with Three (she won). Had a walk around the park – first time I’ve actually been since extensive restoration work has taken place and it is looking really lovely. Mum treated us to an ice cream. Three had ten minutes on the play area before it was time to come back home.

–          After a cuppa (it’s thirsty work spending three hours at the park, you know!) we got busy in the little bit of garden at the front of our house. Apart from planting a rosebush at the edge of it two years ago, I’ve basically ignored this patch ever since my ex husband moved out – the garden was very much his domain and it has taken me a long time, for some reason, for me to feel as though that space is my own. I started taking control of the back garden last year, and this year I feel it is very much mine, as I’ve moved things around and started growing exactly what I want to grow (mostly edible stuff). The front, though, has simply been left, and until this afternoon was totally overgrown with ivy and sticky weeds. There was a foxglove and some crocosmia growing out of the middle, but they were having the life choked out of them by the tangled weeds.

–          We worked very hard for nearly two hours. Now the weeds are all gone and the plants can be seen, as can the front wall! It looks amazing and completely different. In a week or so when it’s all settled down a bit, I can dig over the soil and look at the spaces between the plants and decide what else to put in there.

–          Odd that it has taken three years to get to the point where I can deal with the front border at all – and now I have started I suddenly really feel as though I’m making it my own. This is very good for me.

–          Said goodbye and thank you very much indeed to my mum, and then spent what felt like forever cooking tuna and mushroom bake for tea.

–          We ate our tea in the living room watching the remainder of the Greece v Czech Republic match.

–          Still to come this evening before I can collapse into bed after my full on day: a) Get Three to bed (surely she must be as tired as me? No?) b) Wash the tea pots c) Ironing (I have to; most of the seating in the living room is full of piles of clean washing) d) Watch Poland v Russia (not exactly a hardship, that one, and it will make the ironing go faster!).

Given that yesterday Three and I spent the morning playing Battleships and Chess, and the afternoon on  a local scoot/walk ‘exploring the jungle’ and avoiding crocodiles and tigers, I am really, really looking forward to a quieter day mostly in the house tomorrow! This second week of half term with just Three and myself is lots of fun but there isn’t much let up at any point!

However, you don’t hear me complaining. I’m feeling very blessed with life right now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s